Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
What we stand for
Aquent is an equal opportunity employer. We believe an inclusive environment—where different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are valued—is critical to ensuring everyone can contribute, grow their careers, and thrive. We also believe that diversity goes beyond race and gender. Diversity includes things that are visible and those that are not. It's a person's age, status, ability, neurodiversity, sexual orientation, and so much more. These differences help foster a more progressive workplace. We embrace them all.
2023 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Winner
We are beyond thrilled to share the news that Aquent Australia won the 2023 APSCo Australia Awards for Excellence for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
2023 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Finalist
Aquent Australia was nominated as a Finalist in the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion category of the 2023 Recruitment International TIARA Awards.
Here's how we're taking action.
- Developed ongoing audit of the full recruitment life cycle.
- Expanding diversified talent networks and pipelines.
- Offering unbiased anonymised resumes.
- Creating gender-neutral job descriptions.
- Created a guide for our recruiters to post inclusive job ads
- Reinforcing interview best practices.
- Ensuring pay parity and equity for all employees.
- Developed three guides for hiring managers to take action on diversity, equity and inclusion in their workplaces.
- Developed a guide to help hiring managers assess the risks and advantages of integrating AI tools into their hiring process to build a more diverse workplace.
- Implemented traditional place names on all our digital assets including our job ads
Reconciliation Action Plan
- We are engaged with Reconciliation Australia to implement the second stage of our four-part Reconciliation Action Plan, “Innovate”. The first stage, ‘Reflect', was approved in 2021.
- Our Reconciliation Action Plan outlines our commitment to exploring how we can create and integrate initiatives in our business that will lead us to build effective relationships with, and identify opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within the digital and creative industries throughout Australia. Some of our initiatives include:
- Supporting significant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander events throughout the year such as Reconciliation Week and NAIDOC Week.
- Supported the Voice to Parliament referendum.
- Helping our clients recruit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander digital specialists.
- Sharing educational and significant content with our community to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Promoting positive race relations through anti-discrimination strategies.
- Increasing understanding, value and recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, histories, knowledge and rights through cultural learning.
- Formed local and international internal Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Councils with representatives from across the company.
- Became an accredited member of the Diversity Council Australia, Australia's only independent, not-for-profit peak body for workplace diversity and inclusion, providing our employees with free access to a unique knowledge bank of research, best practices and expertise across all the diversity dimensions.
- Developed company-wide education materials, training, and discussions around underrepresented groups, racial injustice, and its historical significance.
- Expanded our resource library and access to external courses on themes like mitigating bias and fostering an inclusive workplace through Diversity Council Australia.
- Introduced ongoing internal training, including unconscious bias, how to be an ally for Rainbow Women, The Gender Spectrum & the difference between gender, gender expression & sexuality, Accessibility and how to be an advocate alongside people with disabilities, why digital accessibility and inclusive design matters, autism and the workplace, why the Voice to Parliament was so important to Indigenous Australians and more.
- Run external educational events for our talent and clients on diversity, equity and inclusion such as DEI Unplugged: Real People, Real Stories, Real Solutions.
- Published blog posts on the Aquent blog on topics such as: Increasing Diversity In The Workplace Is Everyone's Responsibility; Why diversity is crucial for decision making, creativity and the success of your teams; Why Hiring Autistic Employees Is A Smart Business Move; How To Design Inclusive Onboarding Strategies From Day One; Unpacking The Hiring Process: Questions You Can Ask To Identify Bias; What Is An Equity Audit and Why Is It Important?
- Developed a guide for leaders on how to approach culturally sensitive topics
- Developed free training through Aquent Gymnasium for Talent and organisations on how to ensure that digital assets are digitally accessible.
- Started Cultural Clubs that foster insightful conversations about books such as The New Jim Crow, The Nickel Boys, and Who Moved My Cheese, and movies and short videos such as In My Blood It Runs, Racism in Australia, and Finding Confidence in Conflict.
- Raised over $110,000 in contributions to social justice organizations including more than $66,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.
- Donations and support for charities through events, surveys, workplace giving, and donation matching such as Beyond Blue, Bridging The Gap Foundation, Deaf Victoria; Mallee Accommodation Support Program, BlaQ Aboriginal Corporation; McGrath Foundation; and the Moriarty Foundation.
- Formed Employee Resource Groups for BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and working parents and allies.
- Giving time off to vote in local, state, and national elections.
- Awarding Designing For Good grants that help bring creative ideas to life for nonprofits.
- Creating an Aquent Cookbook with nearly 90 recipes celebrating the diversity of Aquent's multicultural employees in a simple and playful way.
- Sharing talent art from creators of color or that celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion across our social media platforms.
- Providing free, real-time market salary data to the public through our Compare My Salary Tool.
- Engaging in candid conversations as part of the Voices of Aquent series that explores topics involving diverse groups of employees at Aquent including BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and working parents and allies.
- Ensuring that the events we run and participate in includes diverse speakers and are accessible to everyone, including providing Auslan interpreters and closed captions.
- Giving each Aquent employee, two ‘Make It Matter' days per year to choose a charity of their choice to volunteer their time to help others.
A commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is in our DNA.
As an organization, we have been committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion from day one, and we're now formalising our approach and building it into every aspect of our company. We've formed employee-led Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Councils in every country we work in to help drive this work forward. We're holding ourselves accountable to create a better future, assess our progress, and identify opportunities to continuously improve.